The signing ceremony of Contract between APSCO and Beihang University on APSCO Student Small Satellite Project(SSS-1 Microsatellite and Ancillary Work) was held on 17th of January, 2017 at Beihang University in Beijing, China.
APSCO SSS project is aimed at training students and faculties from Member States (MS) for satellite engineering through hands-on practical training until the flight model is made, and thus to contribute significantly to the development of space education system among MS, as well as to enhance the capacity building of Universities in space technology development for senior undergraduates and above levels in both aspects of knowledge and engineering practices.
The Signing ceremony was attended by more than 40 participants from APSCO, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), China National Space Administration (CNSA) and Beihang University, and addressed by invited VIPs including Dr.Li Xinjun, Secretary General of the APSCO, Dr.Huang Haijun, Vice President of Beihang University and Mr.Tian Yulong, Secretary General of CNSA.
The ceremony was hosted by Dr.Mohammad Ebrahimi Seyedabadi, Director General of Department of Education Training and Database Management of APSCO. At the beginning of the ceremony, Prof. Huang Hai of Beihang University presented a short report on the project background as well as current status. Then Dr.Li Xinjun expressed the following points in his speech:
1. This project is the biggest international cooperation project since APSCO establishment and has a great historical significance.
2. This project is not only a great opportunity, but also a big challenge. APSCO stands ready to use this opportunity to share technology, experience, resources and make benefits to all the MS.
3. We appreciate for the strong support from Chinese Government and Beihang University. We firmly believe that this project will be a successful pilot which combines by Education, Training and Technology Capacity Building for Future development on SSS project.
Dr.Huang Haijun express that as the leading University, Beihang already set up the project committee which is lead by two vice presidents of University. To make sure the project is successfully implemented; Beihang will do its best and take responsibility to work and cooperate closely with APSCO Secretariat and all the APSCO MS.
Mr.Tian Yulong as the last speaker indicated once again that Chinese government will continue to support this project and expressed that:
1. He hopes this project will be adhere to the three principles of being open, cooperative and hopes APSCO can promote its international influence in this way.
2. He hopes more and more young generation aerospace researchers and university students can involve in this project so that in future the Constellation includes not only 3 but up to 30 micro-satellites and cube-satellites.
3. He hopes all the involved countries can work smartly and work hard to promote this project.
In addition, all the parties agreed to establish a SSS website and publish the progress of the project regularly based on the request by Mr.Tian Yulong.
At the end of the ceremony, Dr. Li Xinjun and Dr.Huang Haijun signed the contract on behalf of APSCO and Beihang University, respectively. The sigining was observed by the distinguished delegates and the project PMB members.